Thursday, November 02, 2006

Agnes' Wedding Day

It was a beautiful day to have a couple blessed by the God of being one soul.


On 28th October was my very best friend’s wedding, Agnes. It was raining very heavy while I was waiting for Jenny with her husband to fetch me. Luckily when we reached to the church in Klang, the rain has stopped. It was a pleasant day. We reached there at sharp 4pm where it was getting to start the ceremony, the Holy Matrimony.

The Bride walked in with her only elder brother. Then the ceremony begins with the solemnization and sings. It was a Catholic Church ceremony. The Matrimony finished at about 5.30pm. The Bride, Agnes looked amazing with her saree.



Then the wedding dinner begins at 7.30pm. It’d held in a Tamil Methodist Hall which was nearby the Church area. The decoration hall was arranged orderly and looked ‘mini grand ballroom’. The theme for the night was in blue and white colors. The hall filled with balloons, candles, flowers, ribbons, stage, slide-show, DJ along with the sound system.


(Thanks Jenny and her husband to accompany me until the time of the dinner because they were not attending the dinner as Jenny was not feeling well.)

As I posted earlier that I will give a speech for the wedding dinner on behalf of the Bride but I didn’t expected to be the first person on stage after the married couple walked in the hall. I was so freak out; nervous. Although I had prepared my speech but I haven’t memorized it. I got an idea to prepare a prop, a dummy long scroll as to break-the-ice on stage and it worked quite well.

My speech was begin with these;

Hello, good evening everyone! This is my first time to come on stage to give a speech. I don't what to say but I had prepared the list. Hope you don't mind. (I was opening the long scroll and let it run onto the ground. People was got shocked to see the list on the long scroll. I was just smiling and looked into my scroll.) Erhh... I think this is going to take sometime to finish up my speech with this long list. I guess most of us can't wait to have our dinner as we all are very hungry right now. (I smiled again.) Actually I had prepared a shorter speech on these piece of papers. (I opened up 4 pieces of A4 papers with my handwriting written on them and begin with my real speech.)

First I would like to say to the bride, Agnes. She looks absolutely stunning and outshone today. I’m sure the gentlemen are agreeing with me as today is a sad day for single men out there that this beauty is leaving from the available list.

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Mei Leng. I was truly honored when Agnes asked me to give a speech and I want to thanks her for this opportunity that she thought enough of our friendship to include me in this special day.

Agnes, thank you!

I must admit that I’m kind of stage fright now. But I realized that this is very important for Agnes as this is her very special day. "Agnes, don't blame me if I say something wrong".

Agnes and I have been best friend our whole lives. I hold this position as Agnes’s oldest friend. Well, when I say oldest, I don’t mean my age! I mean that we’ve known each other since we were 7 years old, and we’ve seen a couple of decades pass from that time in our youth.

My friendship with Agnes has been special to me, not only because the longevity, but because of she was a great person to go through the trauma of our teenage years together. Even though we don't see each often but whenever we are together again, we catch up from where we left off, and it always seems as if we haven’t been apart at all.

I’m not sure what started our friendship; maybe it was just that I liked her very long dark black hair at her buttock during the primary school. We went to the same primary school – the same secondary school – and we stayed nearby which was 2 minutes walk.

We have seen through the good, the bad and the ugly, and we’ve each learned a lot from each other especially me. I’d like to tell you about some of the things I’ve learned from Agnes.

First – I learned to speak English from and with her. When we were in primary school, I used to speak with her in Malay. But she’d made the effort and built up my confidence, she made me to speak with her in English. And now I’d had made it this far. Thanks Agnes.

Second – I learned that I needed to get better at keeping our stories straight. When we were in school, we may told a tale or two, and it would properly be the conspicuous inconsistencies of our stories that gave us away, and part of me can’t help but think we are lucky to have made it this far!

Third – Not be afraid to give all in a relationship. I have to say that it was watching Agnes blend in her relationship that taught me that life lesson. What convinced me of that was how they met. Do you know how they met? Have you heard it? Even if you have or not, I still can’t tell. Let it be their secret of love.

Lastly – Agnes taught me that good friends are hard to find, and that friends are more important than boyfriends. Wow, now that she’s married, I wonder if that will still hold true over husbands? I hope so.

I have loved to watch this romance bloom. Cyril is a great guy although I don’t really know him well. To me, he’s funny, friendly and easy to get along though I’m so shy to talk to him. In any case, Cyril has proven himself to be a great guy and Agnes is very happy in her relationship with him.

The fact is obvious to anyone who sees them together. And let’s face it, any man who can put up with the kind of friendship that Agnes and I have – our long telephone conversations, shopping excursions and occasional overspending... (Sorry Agnes, I thought Cyril knows about these.) Nevertheless, anyone who can withstand all these is definitely okay in my book.

(I looked at the Groom.) Cyril, please remembers that when you have a discussion with Agnes, always remembers to get the last words in: “Yes dear”.

Agnes has just blossomed since Cyril came into her life. She’s become happier and has a better outlook on life in general. She’s genius person, with no pretences, she is caring, warm hearted, bright, intelligent and completely self-less. It was fated for them to be together.

I know that theirs marriage that will not only last for decades to come, but it will be one filled with love, laughter, and eventually, children!

Agnes, throughout the years, I have been blessed with your friendship. You’re been one rare friend in my life who is solid and dependable, forever seeing the lighter side, providing me with perspective, as only you can.

Here I would love to propose a toast though I don't have a glass with me:
May you both live happily together, May your home and hearth be filled with your laughter and that of your children as well, for all the days of your life.

Congratulations Agnes and Cyril.
May God bless you both and may The Force be with you always.

Cheers!
Thank you.

I didn't know that my speech was that long. Heeheee

The dinner was served after a man gave the blessing of the wedding cakes. The dinner was great though some of the dishes were quite cold but they are still tasty.


After we eaten half way, the Bride and Groom went on stage to cut the wedding cakes and pour the champagne. Then they gave their own speech to the guests. Later they both were played a game that set-up by the host to play 'Game of Love'.


After the dinner was finished served and we had eaten all, some of the guests started to leave the hall. My schoolmates who attended took some photos of ourselves and with the married couple as well.


I also took some photos with the married couple alone but turned out the photos were quite blurred. Blame the BenQ DigiCam!


Impressed with her Henna on her hands. Took the pictures. Don't you love them?!


Lastly, the shot that I would like to take whenever I go:

Congratulations again to Agnes & Cyril! May both live happy til eternity.

No comments: