Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Holiday - Movie

Yesterday I got a pair of free tickets to watch the preview screening of "The Holiday". I always wanted to watch this movie since I'd watched the trailer. Finally. Its a romance comedy.

The movie is about Amanda (Cameron Diaz) of Los Angeles, CA and Iris (Kate Winslet) of Surrey, England live five thousand miles apart and have never met, but are dealing with the same problem: men. Amanda having just broken up with her cheating boyfriend, Ethan and Iris having pined for her ex, Jasper, who becoming engaged to the woman he left her for decide to take a vacation during Christmas. Amanda comes upon a website called home exchange and she wants to stay in Iris's cottage. Iris got an idea to swap houses for two weeks that both agreed with a goal to forget their troubled love lives. But love ends up finding them anyways. Amanda starts a romance with Iris' older brother, Graham (Jude Law), and Iris starts a romance with Miles (Jack Black). With new found romance, both their lives change forever.


This movie was really good and meaningful enough to understand more about love, not only in a relationship but to friendship and the bond between human beings. The plot was a little slow but not slow enough to loose your interest. Jude Law's character added a different dimension to his character and it made you love him more in the movie. Jack Black's character was sweet, not corny... he was not a goof like he usually is in his movies but sense a little touch in the movie that likeable as in Iris's character. Overall, I love most of the quotes from the movie. Here are the some of it:
Iris: I've found almost everything ever written about love to be true. Shakespeare said "Journeys end in lovers meeting." What an extraordinary thought. Personally, I have not experienced anything remotely close to that, but I am more than willing to believe Shakespeare had. I suppose I think about love more than anyone really should. I am constantly amazed by its sheer power to alter and define our lives. It was Shakespeare who also said "love is blind". Now that is something I know to be true. For some quite inexplicably, love fades; for others love is simply lost. But then of course love can also be found, even if just for the night. And then, there's another kind of love: the cruelest kind. The one that almost kills its victims. Its called unrequited love. Of that I am an expert. Most love stories are about people who fall in love with each other. But what about the rest of us? What about our stories, those of us who fall in love alone? We are the victims of the one sided affair. We are the cursed of the loved ones. We are the unloved ones, the walking wounded. The handicapped without the advantage of a great parking space!

Graham: Long distance relationships can work, you know.
Amanda: Really? I can't make one work when I live in the same house with someone.

Iris: ....I don't know the exact quote, but I know that there's no such 'cheating' in a relationship.

Amanda: [In the car with Graham] Sex makes everything more complicated. Even not having it because the not having it makes it complicated.

No comments: