Saturday, January 06, 2007

Almost Self-trip to Singapore

Since the time I was jobless and been thinking a lot of travel alone. I always wanted to travel in different countries other than in Malaysia. Thought of going to Japan to visit Vikram and his wife in mid of April/May in 2007 but that plan has crashed due to my retrenchment.

So changed the plan and decided to go Singapore, the nearest and familiar with. But this time I wanted to explore alone in Singapore. The last time I went was with my relatives or friends.

I’ve been telling most of my friends about me going to Singapore for Christmas holidays. By this, I may go down to Singapore with friends who want to go too. I went down to South with a guy friend, Jason by bus. He bought the tickets for one-way to Singapore. He decided to stay there for few days with his girlfriend who working in Singapore.

So I got to buy the back KL ticket by myself. Thought of travel back KL by bus, but instead buy train ticket since I haven’t experience. I got to buy return ticket with train in order to get the cheapest price. I got to buy go Singapore on 20th December with a economic seat costs RM21 then back to KL on 24th December last night train with bed cost RM43. Flood was happened on 20th December and KTM is responsible to refund the ticket that travel on the date has happened. I’m lucky, if not I got to reimburse my RM21 on the air. Heeheee. So, bus to Singapore costs RM45, back to KL by train RM43. Not bad at all. Thanks Jason who bought the bus tickets.

We took the last bus at night in Puduraya. We departed at midnight, reached in Tuas Checkpoint, Singapore at 4.30am on 23rd December. The bus stopped at bus station somewhere nearby at Lavender Street at around 5.15am. Once we dropped the place, Jason and I were travel separately. He took a taxi go to look for his gf and I started to walk alone in the early morning to look for a place to stay.

Yah, I know. It was late to do the hotel booking during the Christmas season. So I thought that I could find one once I reach in Singapore. I do have cousins who stay in Singapore, it just that I doesn't want to trouble them with my arrival. Therefore I want to have some exploration. They were staying out of the town which kinda of unconvenience for me. I decided to have my own place to stay.

I was walking alone with backpack and a big tote bag while reading the map. I’d written list of affordable places to stay in a notepad. I walked for 1 ½ hours to find a place to stay. I found Sleepy Sam's Place at Bussorah Street but it only opens at 8am so I look for another place. I went to Bugis Street for Bugis Backpacker Hostel but it closed for holidays. Damn. Then I went to Bugis MRT to buy the EZ Link Card for S$15 (something like Touch ‘n’ Go card in KL). I was kinda tired after walking awhile with backpack. I was totally lost my way to look for more but luckly I had prepared with the listing of the places I wanted to stay with their contact number. I called each of them at the phone booth in MRT station. Finally I got a place to stay! Phew~

Finally got to Penang Hotel at Jalan Besar for a dorm (dormitory) bed costs S$15 each night with an extra S$5 for early bird check-in. I check-in at 7.30am. The dorm was filled with 4 double-deck bed that can occupy 8 people and a share bathroom. I took the lower bed. I was pretty exhausted and I took a nap at about 8am.

So far to this journey, it likes aimless or not well prepared. I do not know what to do instead I took the nap and informing most of friends who stay in Singapore of my arrival. I do not know what to plan, where to go. I didn’t take my breakfast although I’d passed some of the shops to stop by. I was thinking that I need to find a place to stay at first. Most everything is unprepared and randomly happens.

I smsed Darcy, my ex-colleague who is now working in Singapore for lunch which about to meet his girlfriend, May at Lavender MRT at noon. We went to Orchard Road to have lunch. We couldn’t decide what to eat but ended up eating Hainanese Chicken Rice costs S$8.90 and Homemade Barley Ice S$2.80. Thanks to Darcy for the lunch. After that, we walked around to shop as I wanted to buy clogs and sneakers. From Orchard Road, we went to Bugis Village, Sim Lim Square to look for gadget. I want to have a MP3/MP4 player but my budget was tight. Darcy said buying some of the electric stuff in Singapore somewhat is cheaper than Malaysia after the conversion. Then we stopped to have a coffee break nearby and we chatted and rest. From at least 1pm, we walked and shopped until almost 7pm. I couldn’t walk anymore as well for Darcy and May as we all were tired. I went back to dormitory to take bath and slept at about 10pm.







I think this post going to be damn long, so I decided not to write more but let the pictures speak itself.














Click this picture below for larger view on 360 degree:



















On my departure back to KL, my MSN friend who live in Singapore came to see me. It was great to meet someone new face.


Check in at Malaysia Immigration in the Railway Station at about 10.15pm. Got into the train while waiting it move at 12 midnight.



My bed was nearly the end of the coach of the train. A lot of unoccupied beds or seats.



At 1am, it stopped at Woodlands Train Checkpoint. It started the journey at 1.15am.


In the train, I was asleep though it bumpy but it was a good sleep. I reached to KL Central at the next day on Christmas at 10.20am.


Overall, I was brave enough to travel although I'd lost my way and not well prepared. I'm looking forward to have another trip, but not sure when.

No comments: