Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Hare

Bought a 4.5cm thick short stories book last month at MPH Bookstore that cost around RM60. Started to read at the page 90 which yah, I know I'm slow. The book called 'Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales'. I read 14 pages of the Introduction of the book that I hardly understand some of the few 'new' words that I came across. But one thing I know that each of the story were cut in short and straight to the point and came from different countries.

Then I came across with this story called 'The Hare'. The story sounds like this:

One day the hare went to the house of the hunter who was away hunting. He said to the hunter's wife: 'Come to my house and live with me; we have meat and vegetables every day.' The woman went with him, but when she saw the lair of the hare and had eaten grass with him and slept in the open with him, she was not satisfied. She said: 'I want to go back.' The hare said: 'You came here by your own choice.' The woman did not know the road in the bush, so she said: 'Come with me and I will cook a nice dinner.' The hare took her to her house. Then she said: 'Get me some firewood.' The hare went to the forest and collected a load of firewood. The woman lit a fire and put a pot on it. When the water was boiling she put the hare into the pot. When the hunter came home she said: 'I caught a hare for dinner.' The hunter never knew what happened.
The end.


Actually this story was in 'PART ONE; Brave, Bold and Wilful Section' that most of the stories were centre around a female protagonist that putting together with the intention of giving the pleasure on how clever, or brave, or good, or silly, or cruel, or sinister, or unluck etc.

So the moral of the story is that you will know what does it mean. First I found the story was damn short and I was flipping the pages for more but its only in 1 page. I found it funny when I read for second time to understand the story. This story is bold and funny.

Looking forward to read other stories. I hope you catch the humour. :)

No comments: